A keto or ketogenic diet is a low-carb, high-fat eating routine that can assist you with reducing fat from the body more efficiently. It has numerous advantages for weight reduction, well being and many others such as being protected from diseases such as Cancer, epilepsy and Diabetes.
It is basically reduction of Carbohydrates intake and taking more of fat. The process of reduction of Carbohydrates with replacement to fat is called Ketosis.
Research on more than 30 studies shows that Ketogenic Diet can play a high part on weight loss and health issues. This is the reason why it’s advisable by most of the Doctors.
A keto diet can be particularly valuable for losing abundance muscle to fat ratio without hunger, and for improving type 2 diabetes.
When this happens, your body becomes incredibly efficient at burning fat for energy. It also turns fat into ketones in the liver, which can supply energy for the brain.
Here, you’ll figure out how to eat a keto diet using the required supplements. First we shall know the types afterwards we will match these types of diet based on our body situation.
With that being the point, We shall have a clear approach on the type of Ketogenic diet to be followed to help with weight loss and other health benefits.
Types of Ketogenic Diet
- Standard/very low carb Ketogenic Diet : This is a mixture of low-carb, moderate-protein and high-fat food supplements. It contains 75% fat, 20% protein and just 5% carbs.
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with cut avocado
Tidbit: Almond spread on celery
Lunch: Spinach serving of mixed greens bested with canned fish, olive oil, and vinegar
Tidbit: 1 ounce (oz) string cheddar and 1 oz pistachios
Supper: Sirloin steak matched with sautéed mushrooms, onions, and cauliflower rice
2.Well formulated Ketogenic Diet: This type is similar to the standard ketogenic diet. Its that macronutrients of fat, protein and starch meet the proportions of the standard ketogenic diet whereas in this mixture there is a high probability of ketosis happening.
3.Cyclical Ketogenic Diet: Its a diet which involves 2 days of high carb consumption with 5 days of low carb high fat consumption(ketogenic diet). This diet is best for those doing exercises whereas it uses the two days to recover the lost glycogen lost from muscles in a diet week.
4.High protein Ketogenic Diet: This diets incorporates more protein than the standard ketogenic diet. The ratio proportion are 35% protein, 60% fat and 5% carbohydrates. This type is best for bodybuilders, senior adults who don’t want their muscle to breakdown and those with protein deficiency (skinny people).
5.MCT Ketogenic Diet:MCT(medium chain triglycerides1.) This follows the blueprint of standard ketogenic diet however it differs as it provides much of fat in its diet. MCTs are found in coconut oil and is accessible as MCT oil and MCT emulsion fluids.
MCT diet is useful for people suffer from Alzheimer’s disease, Epilepsy and Autism. It also help in reduction of lactate buildup for athletes.
6.Targeted Ketogenic Diet: It follows the instincts of standard ketogenic diet. It’s only difference is that more carbohydrates are consumed during exercises or body workouts.
This diet is useful for both men and women doing atheletes, sprint or tough exercises. It works out fine on weight loss on people who do those exercises.
Foods to Eat on Ketogenic Diet
- Avocado: rich in vitamin and minerals, helps to reduce bad cholesteral(LDL) and increase good cholesteral(HDL)
- Eggs: contains protein with some carbs. they facilitates lower calories intake and keeps blood sugar level stable which is good for the heart
- Meat: grass fed cows are the best. rich in protein, helps preserve muscles on standard KD diet. Chicken & turkey too can fit fine.
- Berries: unlike other fruits, berries are low carb and rich in fibre which makes it good for KD.
- Sea foods: most shellfish have low carb rich in vitamin B which makes it good on keto diet. Shrimp is the best of all.
- Olive Oil: Its best during cooking, improves artery function and protects the heart health.
- Dark Chocolate: Most of it is cocoa which is good for lowering blood pressure and making arteries healthy.
- Low Carbohydrates Vegetables: Broccoli and Cauliflower are the best on diet. These are well known to decrease cancer and heart diseases.
- Cheese and Butter: Contains linoleic acid which helps in fat loss from the body.
- Cod liver oil: its a kind of fish oil which contains vitamin A and D that helps preventing inflammation and lowers blood pressure.
- MCT oil: Coconut oil which helps boosting metabolic rate while decreasing the food appetite. This in turns leads to weight loss.
- Ground Nuts and Cashew Nuts: High in fiber which makes one feel no need food. They also absorb Calories.
These foods are the best for Ketogenic diet. How to go about the concentration of carb, fat or protein foods, depends on your body requirement. The above listed types of diets with the example describes which kind of person should line on which diet. Therefore one should choose the right concentration ratio of named foods above based on their body required type of keto diet.
Foods to Avoid on Ketogenic Diet
The foods rich in carbohydrates and unhealthy fats are the ones to avoid. These includes high sugar foods, starch and most of the fruits.
- Sugary foods– Ice cream, cake, soda, juice, fruits
- Starch foods– Beans, bread, Donuts, Beer, pasta, Rice, Cereals, potatoes etc
- Unhealthy fats– Mayonaise, pork, lamb, poultry skin, fat beef meat, lard etc
Basically, One should avoid eating foods with high protein content as they facilitate rise in blood sugar that in turn leads to weight gain. A much more concentration should be put to High healthy fat foods to a percentage of 70% while the rest being followed by carbohydrates with least being protein.
Required Suppliments for Ketogenic Diet
Its normally considered Exogenous Ketones, MCT oils, creatine, added minerals in the diet can help boost the Ketogenic Diet. This helps in some extent but not really necessary to buy these supplements to achieve the diet goals. There isn’t a real proof of these supplements working out on anyone using them.
Ketone enhancements don’t bring down insulin or glucose, and don’t build fat burning. It’s difficult to accept that they would have any immediate advantages for weight reduction or type 2 diabetes remission.
Sales people claim guaranteeing enormous benefits of these supplements– regardless of the absence of scientific proof in any of them. They sometimes make arrangement with fake reviews from customers just to facilitate their sales.
In most cases from the research of real customers of these products, they say that supplements work out for a short time and then one gets back to the old body shape
The sales rep may reveal to you that their item is incredible and has transformed them and causes you to get thinner and so on. However, these advantages are fundamentally dubious and improbable. Think about every single such story while taking other factors into consideration.
Best Meals Plan for Keto Diet
Meals plan differ depending on the type of diet practised. In most cases people do practice the common standard ketogenic diet. The below illustration example is for standard KD.
- Breakfast: Bulletproof Coffee-
- Lunch: Bacon and Eggs
- Supper: Buttery steak and broccoli
Total: 965 calories ; 4.5g carb ; 45g protein and 84g fat
- Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs with Avocado
- Lunch: Butterly Steak and Broccoli
- Supper: Lamb chop and feta Salad
Total: 1433 calories ; 7g carb ; 77g protein and 117g fat
- Breakfast: Intermittent fasting
- Lunch: Lamb chop and feta Salad
- Supper: Steamed ginger chicken with broccoli
Total: 1087 calories ; 8g carb ; 77g protein and 78g fat
- Breakfast: Avocado smoothie
- Lunch: Steamed ginger chicken with broccoli
- Supper: two bunless cheese burger.
Total: 1487 calories ; 16g carb ; 86g protein and 110g fat.
- Breakfast: Bulletproof Coffee
- Lunch: Bunless Cheese Burger.
- Supper: Tacos
Total: 1144 calories ; 7g carb ; 68g protein and 93g fat.
- Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs with Avocado
- Lunch: Cob Salad.
- Supper: two Sesame beef / Coleslaw
Total: 1560 calories ; 14g carb ; 83g protein and 122g fat.
- Breakfast: Avocado Smoothie
- Lunch: two sesame beef/ Coleslaw
- Supper: Rib Eye with Brussels sprout
Total: 1515 calories ; 19g carb ; 74g protein and 118g fat.
Benefits of Ketogenic Diet
- Weight Loss: It has been scientifically proven in more than 30 deep studies that Ketogenic diet leaves high chances of losing weight. The chemical reaction through the mix of foods with low carb and high fat ingredients leads to fat storing hormones(insulin) to drop drastically. With this procedure fat is lost fast without feeling hungry.
- Cancer: The diet is now known to be treating most types of cancers and slowing the growth of tumors.
- Diabetes: Studies and research have been proven to be stabilizing type 2 diabetes. As type 2 diabetes is more of improper insulin levels, ketogenic diet controls this levels.
- Heart Diseases: The diet works out on decreasing blood sugar levels, increasing good cholesterol (HDL) in the body. This is all required for a healthy heart
- Acne: it hinders the growth of acne since it lowers sugar levels.
- Alzheimer’s disease: hinders the growth of the disease. Research shows that the diet facilitates brain vascular functions.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: Irregularity on menstrual circle in women. It has been observed from women with this order to be cured when using the diet.
Side Effects of Keto Diet
Ketogenic diet is good for weight loss and body health in general. Despite being good there are some effects that would occur due to the changes in behavior of food menus.
Usually these effects haunt many people during the first week but on later days they tend to settle. These symptoms can be Dizzness, Nausea, headache, abnormal hunger and lack of Libido to some of the people. This feeling of discomfort and abnormality is named Keto flu.
Why is this happening?
This effects occur due to dehydration and lack of salt minerals in the body. This takes some time for the body to adjust to changes before you settle to be normal.
Ways to resolve this
As it has been explained the result of keto flu is mostly due to loss of salt minerals and water from the body, therefore the way to reduce or prevent this is by drinking more water and going for the low carbs diet on the first week so as to the body a chance to adjust on changes slowly.
Common Asked Questions
How long does Ketogenic diet take to work?
A body normally enter into Ketosis within 2 to 5 days. The difference between people comes because of the age, types of activities done, difference in metabolic processes, ways of practicing the diet and many other factors.
How long does it take for a body to loss weight?
This is the common question to most people who want to practice the diet. Here is the fact, the issue of losing weight will vary from each persons. As explained above being into ketosis will depend on metabolic process, age, insulin hormones and many body factors.
Generally people would loose weight to 5 kg of more during the first month.
I am always feeling tired and weak. why is it so?
For the first week it’s ok, but if it keeps on for the next weeks it means you are not following the diet properly. Mostly that can happen when there is more intake of carb during the diet. Therefore try to lower carbohydrates concentration.
Can’t I consume alcohol at all during the diet?
Yes you can, but you need to be selective on the types of alcohol you drink. The preferably are those with no carbohydrates at all. Some of them are from white wine, rum, vodka, red wine, whiskey, tequilla. There are some light beers also but its hard to differentiate which one has more carbs or less, thus its good to stay out of beers.